Saturday, August 20, 2011

Time to make a plan

AND STICK TO IT!!!

You've read me moan/whine/complain about all the ailments I have had over this past year and, while they were all legitimate, I lost the strength of my mind and allowed it to defeat me.  I am working out bits here and there but I am eating poorly so one counteracts against the other. 

WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

My friend Katie, who has been on a fitness journey of her own for the last (almost) year and a half and been very successful and amazes me.  She has lost 72 lbs and, as of today, can now run 17.6 kms - wowza!  Her midset is so strong, so realistic and, what is even more encouraging is that her whole family is doing it.  She and her hubby run marathons today and her two young girls even play gym at home.  Cute.  What's more impressive about Katie is that she is one step away from becoming a personal trainer.  In her 30's and no where near being a 'juice monkey' like so many PT's are, she sat through the training with a goal in mind.  To help others like her .... and me.  So, here is the general plan:

Every other Monday, Katie and I have a long standing date to get together, talk about what I am doing and the progress I am making ... or not making.  Katie gets to practice different things on my as she works towards fine tuning her PT skills and I get the benefit of having my very own personal trainer who will make me accountable.  I have even given her the go-ahead to get all 'Jillian Michaels" on my ass if she needs to.  One other perk about our bi-weekly date is that it will be a workout date.  YAY!  I love working out with Katie.  Between her and my bestest, who is a member at my gym and is great to work out with too, this could be a fun journey.  Okay .... more enjoyable journey.  Thats sounds realisitic. lol

Along with out bi-weekly meetings, I am going to start keeping a food journal to track what I am eating.  If I want a treat, I will have a treat but this will keep me in check.  Also, I have decided that, after I lose 50 lbs, I will treat myself to something wonderful and will continue to do so at 25 pound increments after that.  It will be alot of hard work but I think I will be deserving, no?  haha.  I think my first reward will be a day spent here.  Definitely something to look forward to.

So, where will this week take me?  It's a busy one BUT there is room for it to become a little busier.  I will reevaluate my swim times tomorrow or Monday and I will also search out plus sized bike shorts with mega padding so I can jump on a bike.  I would love to cycle more ... especially outdoors.  (maybe a goal for the spring?  Get my very first real bike and start biking outdoors.  That would definitely be better than stationary biking, that is for sure.    Hmm --- here is a question that just popped in my head with regards to biking:
  • if a person is going to ride a bike for the purpose of weight loss as well as wanting to get to the point where she can bike long distances out doors, what is the best type of stationary bike to use? 
At my gym with have three types of stationary bikes.  Regular, recumbant and spin bikes.  I will have to research this one out since I really don't know anyone in this position.  Maybe I will pop over to the Midlife Swimmer's blog and ask her.  (she that's an inspirational lady, let me tell you!).  I always find it so helpful to learn from others.  I am just really not much of a book learner.  Do and see.  That's my way.  All I know is that I want to get fit all around and be able to do alot of things.  I don't even need to do them well ... I just want to be able.  Biking might be a fun goal too.  Something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. ok so I'm blushing...thank-you thank-you thank-you for your kind words, but more importantly for your support :)
    Your going to do this Mell....your going to be the best you, the strongest, fittest you :) Pretty soon you will be heard saying "Holy shit I DID THAT!"

    ReplyDelete