Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Challenge to Me

I am going to work out today.  It's been two days since I went last and I am going a tad stir crazy.  I want to feel the burn.  I want to feel the silkiness of the water as I stroke my way through it.  I need to workout!

Carleton University is a 50m pool.   Divided in half, we swim in the deep end.  It is 25m each way.  On Friday, I did my first set of continous laps.  Continuous meaning no stopping at the end to catch my breath except for the occassional sip of water.  It meant a slower pace but I was very happy in the end to have done it.  I did 4 lengths in the 25m (totalling 100m) but it was getting busy so I moved to the smaller part of the L where two lenths would equal 25m.  I did 22 complete laps there totalling 550m.  It felt great.

So my challenge ..... regardless of what part of the pool I have to swim in, my goal is to swim a total of 600m.  I am going to time myself  to see how long it takes me then, during the next month, I am going to work on improving my breathing and stroke techniques while I work out and see if  I can increase the time it takes me to complete 600m.  In one month from today I will time myself doing 600m again and see if I have improved.  Hopefully I will see a difference.  I also know that I can swim 25m in 23 seconds.  I would love to shave two seconds off that by Christmas.  Yet another goal as I continue to make my heart stronger ... now I just need my lungs to get on board too.

My second goal is to also sign up for a Master's Swim class.  A class that helps you improve your swimming abilities.  Right now I am a strong freestyle and back crawl swimmer but most definitely need fine tuning.  My breast stroke abilities are minimal and my butterfly stroke abilities .... well .... that stroke just adds a look of comedy to my routine.  I cant do it at all.

Here's to a happy, healthy and get-fit kinda day.
m.

ETA - I was just setting up a goals section in my sidebar and thinking about 600m and what it entails when the perfect visual hit me like a ton of bricks.  Think of running on a track.  Once around is 400m thus making 600m one and a half laps around the track.  It no longer seems as impressive, does it?  lol

1 comment:

  1. I love this challenge. Its fun and reinforces that athlete feeling :) I am so digging the goal side bar...going to steal that idea wink :)

    I want to play to...trying to think of a good challenge...I know...get through a combat class with all the moves. ie. not standing there going Huhhhh....

    ReplyDelete