Saturday, November 13, 2010

Did you feel the earth move?

That was me .... trying to run.   I lasted about 5 steps and stopped.  It just didn't feel right.  It felt heavy and klunky and ... like an elephant.  Maybe I was expecting too much?  I knew I wouldnt have the same graceful feeling I feel when I am in the water but that was just wrong.  lol  Maybe I need a pair of shoes with more bounce?  Or just new shoes all together.  I am so not a running shoe kinda gal.  When I actually do wear them to work in that once in a blue moon moment, students notice as do the staff.  `What???  You`re wearing runners???`  Because of this, my running shoes `last` a long time.  I think I have had the same pair for about 7 or 8 years now.  Add age to the quality factor (they are Champions from Payless ... probably a BOGO sale, no less).   So tell me my running followers - and that would be you Katie and Tanya since you are the only two people who know this blog exists right now - will the right running shoes make me feel more like and airy and less like a thumping elephant?

I got to swim 5x this week (and walked once) and it was awesome.  I took advantage of my CU memberships `4 under 14 for free` feature and brought my 13 year old niece.  I told her what the pool has to offer and guess what she wanted to do?  WORKOUT!!!  As if I was going to talk her out of that.  lol  So for about an hour and twenty minutes .... her call when to stop - - she didnt want to .... we worked our way up and down the lanes at our own paces, stopping on occassions to check in with eachother.  Towards the end, she really wanted to try the water running lane. Ummmm -- okay!  I was on board, of course.  Once again ... she loved it.  I am going to get her some goggles and a swim cap because she wants to do this again with me.  If it wasn`t $30 for a round trip to Ottawa right now,  I would be picking her up again tomorrow to work out. 

Speaking of swim caps ... I cant believe I didnt take the time to get one sooner but whoa la.  What a difference it is to wear one.  And it was only $3.99 at that.  I got almost no water up my nose, my hair stayed out of my eyes and, the best part, I didnt have tangles and hair loss thanks to multiple elastic use.  For the first time, I truly felt like an althlete last night.  Now if I could only start seeing a difference with the battle of the bulge.

Enjoy your weekend.  It`s a beautiful one.

ETA:  Found this while blog hopping my way through google results.   I think I am going to add this to my side bar:

WALK when you have to,

CRAWL if you must,

Just NEVER GIVE UP!

2 comments:

  1. I love that flower swim cap pic on the side bar :)

    Shoes....not sure...I feel better in my new shoes... better after running...no shin splints or sore feet. If I were outside now and lets say ran to chase the kids down the block I would feel like an elephant. I need be in my rhythm, my pace, my stride. Ryan is out buying new shoes as we speak. His are 4 years old. I can't believe he lasted running this long on them. But last few runs have given him major shin splints.

    I think you found your magic Mell. Its the water!. Its like we are super hero's and your power is water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get your hair soaked with freshwater in the showers before putting your cap on and it will be better for your hair and easier to put the cap on :) glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete